Wednesday 8 October 2014

125 Shekel!!!

125 Shekels converted into Canadian dollars is around $40.00.  Why you ask, is this fact so significant that I needed to start my post with it? 

This is why:


This 24 pack of water- yes, water- cost 125 shekels. That is $40.00!!!!!! 
Since I have been married, Ali has made 24 packs of water a staple in our house. It has been a goal of mine to find 24 packs of water that do not cost more than $3.50 (I know, I have a sad life).  I have gone strong for over 4 years, and 1 month in Israel, well…let's just say it's time for a new goal.

On to better and more exciting things in Israel.
This is what I saw in the park right next door to my building: 


Here is a better look for those of you who don't have 20/20 vision:


It's cute right? I may have thought so if I did not take a big gulp from that water fountain the day before.  

I showed you a giant dog drinking from a public water fountain for humans, why not then show you this very practical item that was being sold in the Shuk (Jerusalem Market):


Don't lie, this will give you nightmares.

I guess while I'm on the theme of animals... take a look into this Fuze Tea box (aka Israeli Nestea). Take a guess what the white little things are inside:


You are wrong (or I hope you are wrong)... they are live chickens. Why are there tiny chickens in a box you may be asking yourself? Well the answer is very simple, for Shlugen Kaporos (Kaparot for you Zionists). Now I challenge anyone to tell me that there is something holier than keeping multiple chickens in a tiny box just to be picked up by the neck and waved around in circles over some sinner's head and then having its neck sliced in half, all to atone for their sins? I think not!

ALRIGHT!!!! I know this blog is called The Aliya Teacher, and I want to talk about teaching in Israel, but there are so many good things going on here that I could not let them go to waste.
So, what it is like to be a teacher in an Israeli school?
The truth is, it is quite enlightening. Who knew that there could be so many ways to use the word 'Shut-up'? This was the conversation going on in class while I was trying to get them to read a story about London. Why London? Because that's where English comes from!

It involves 4 students and myself:
Student #1-"The Teacher the Teacher"
Me-"Please hold on one second" (To myself) "Why is he calling me The Teacher?"
Student #2 to Student #3-"Shut up your mouth"
Student #3-Student #2-"Shut up face"
Student #1-"The Teacher the Teacher"
Me-"Yes. How can I help you" (To myself) "Stop calling me The Teacher!"
Student #1-"Toilet can I use"
Me-"Can you please wait, there is only 5 minutes left to class"
Student #1-"Toilet I need Toilet"
Me-"Ok. Come back quickly"
Student #4-"Shut Shut Shut Shut up MOUTH!!!!"
Me-"Chag Sameach everyone"

What truly amazes me is which words these kids know vs the ones they don't. But I realized that this is the basic rule for Israeli students: Israeli students will not know a practical word that could be used properly in a sentence, but if it is a word that can be used inappropriately, they know it.

Now, there are more stories, but I guess I will end with this beautiful picture that a student drew for me in class (by for me, I mean of me and then passed on to his friends)
Just to analyze the picture.
The big, fat, scary, and tiny headed man is none other then moi. As much as it makes me happy to have my talmidim depict me in a beautiful way, what makes me even more jubilant (yes I used that word) is what is written on top of the picture of Moreh Zack or "The Teacher". If you look carefully, this student was able to spell the numbers twenty and forty correctly, chalk one up for 'The Teacher'…oh wait…he forgot thirty :(
Lastly, the kid didn't even have the decency to spell teacher in Hebrew correctly! I am such a bad English teacher that it is impacting their Hebrew!

To end a little more seriously, it is amazing what goes on in the minds of these kids. I spent recess talking with many of them, and at such a young age they already know what unit they want to be in when they become of age for the army. I was amazed by their dedication towards such a serious matter at such a young age. And it is not that these kids are so different from other kids around the world. They love to play sports, watch tv, play video games, etc… but from my short time here, I feel as if there is this added aspect to Israeli children, and it is not just the army. What I observed amongst the Israeli students is their strong sense of responsibility. They may say inappropriate things in class and draw pictures of me which make me question why ever joined weight watchers in the first place but, I do respect them for the responsibility that they believe they have towards their nation and land.

Chag Sameach!

זקארי איסקוב

p.s. This is considered to be the most important Facebook group in Jerusalem. Look at the important things that we need to think about in this amazing country:






1 comment:

  1. Amazing post, keep them coming.
    p.s. I think the picture depicts you as a super hero! I think that's what the student meant by the strong build.

    ReplyDelete