Sunday 26 October 2014

Sukkot in the Holy Land

Now please explain to me if you have ever seen anything like this in your life:


No, these are not photoshopped. These are actually 2 massive Etrogim that people carry around for 7 days. You may ask, "isn't it annoying to carry around these massive Etrogim?" Well, not if you compare it to this:



No, these are not photoshopped. These are actually 2 separate pictures of men at Maarat Hamachpela in the beautiful city of Hebron carrying Lulavim almost 20 feet long. Again, you may ask, "isn't it annoying to carry around these massive Lulaviim?" Well, not if you compare it to this:




Just kidding. I have else to compare it to because there is nothing like it, and there is nothing like Sukkot in Israel. Simply put, yes it is annoying to carry around these massive 4 species for 7 days, but things like this are done in Israel. There are all sorts of interesting and often entertaining things that happen here, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

How are all of you beautiful people? It has been over 2 weeks since my last blog and I apologize for my lack of blogging, but don't worry, I'll make it up with this:



Nothing is quite as special as sitting in your apartment with the window open, Jerusalem wind blowing at my hair (what's left of it anyways)- and, all of sudden, being interrupted by a bird (a BIRD) flying around your living room. Don't worry though, he left a #2 (as they say in Israel, kaaaki) on the ledge and took quite some time to leave. I consider this as an atonement for not writing my blog for 2 weeks.

But, I do have a pretty good reason for not writing these past 2 weeks- I had three members of my family move into my apartment for Sukkot.

We had a great time! We ate, sat in the Sukka and ate, went to Tel Aviv and ate, and then they left :)
Aside from all the eating, we had a really great time. Here are some of the highlights.

1) I played giant Pacman on the side of a building:

 2) We hosted some great Sukkot parties including a Hebrew Academy of Montreal Simchat Beit Hashoeva:


3) Went on some great trips with some good friends:



4) And participated in this amazing Christian march:




But it is back to work now. The family has gone home, our Sukkah has been put away, all of the aravot were thrown on top of the aronot, and my students are back to drawing pictures of me in class (I was not able to post this picture but don't worry- this time they added all of my newly-developed Israeli sweat-induced pimples).

All in all, I have learned a number of really important things though these past couple of weeks. 
Here is one significant lesson that we should all keep with us. Many times when you are outside and really tired and there is no place to sit, just do like Israelis do and:


Sit outside of a window 25 feet high. This is why us Israelis are so successful. We think outside the box. 
While I am showing you pictures of the 100 brilliant things to do outside of a window, take a look at this:

Take a closer look:

There is so much to be thankful for in my life. An amazing family, unlimited amounts of food, great trips, and much more. But if there is one thing I have to be truly thankful for it is this:

My precious bike lock. What better way to wake up in the morning then to see my bike lock half broken and sawed through. Don't worry my bike (which is actually not mine, by the way- I borrowed it from a friend) is still intact, but I have not been able to use it as I now have a broken lock on my bike which I cannot take off. Thank you, bike lock.

I hope you have enjoyed this post and get ready for next week, because I have a great story to tell you called:

"The Massive Moishy Milchik Challah".

Shavua Tov,

Zack


p.s. If anybody is looking to buy one of these, check out Secret Jerusalem on Facebook. This is what we are seriously concerned about here:


No comments:

Post a Comment